Enterprise Risk Management

• 1.  analyzing financial solvency

Posted 12-02-2008 10:31 AM
    ------------------------------------------ This message has been cross-posted to both the Risk Professionals and the Enterprise Risk Management E-Groups. ------------------------------------------ I am interested in hearing how others are preparing for upcoming renewals this year as opposed to previous years. It is apparent that as buyers we can (should) no longer simply rely on carrier ratings and broker minimum financial guidelines. What particulars are others delving into when assessing the financial solvency of the insurers? Surplus, reserves, investment portfolios, direction of the firm, stock prices, etc? Is your team gathering & analyzing the info or are you relying on your broker to bring the information to the table? ------------------------------- Karyn Connor IEEE Insurance Program Manager -------------------------------

• 2.  RE: analyzing financial solvency

Posted 12-03-2008 09:49 AM
    Karyn: I supplement use of A.M. Best's various services (carrier details in their filed reports and updates) with other rating services, specifically Fitch and Weiss who I find to be more independent and focused on subtleties in month to month activity. I find that SEC filings, analyst conferences, and PR releases are pretty ineffectual in tracking carrier nuances. Wayne ------------------------------- Wayne Salen Labor Finders International, Inc. Director, Risk Management -------------------------------