Enterprise Risk Management

New IRM guide to ERM (corrected link)

• 1.  New IRM guide to ERM (corrected link)

Posted 03-01-2010 11:00 PM
    Has anyone seen/reviewed the new ERM guide from IRM? It was published last week by the Institute of Risk Management and the UK risk associations of AIRMIC and ALARM. The price is right (free) and available for download at http://www.theirm.org.

I noticed it pulls quite a few charts/wording directly from ISO 31000 and the 2002 "A Risk Management Standard" from IRM/AIRMIC/ALARM. While I don't disagree with any of its concepts, it doesn't get down to the practical approach level that companies need help with. Our experience is that companies would still need to appoint someone to roll up their sleeves and facilitate the process including creating content to support, for example, Table 4's questionnaires and checklists, workshops and brainstorming, etc.

We have worked through several engagements where the approach (baby steps) was critical to adopting the message and helping the client's culture absorb the message. I would be interested to hear other's thoughts about this guidance and any experiences with trying to get management to devote the time and resources to the project.

Any thoughts?

-------------------------------------------
    Steve Reznik
    Risk Management Associate
    The ALS Group
    Upper Saddle River NJ
    United States
    sreznik@als-uic.com
    -------------------------------------------