RIMS, through the Standards and Practices Committee, is committed to actively engage on a variety of standards and practices that are important to risk management practitioners. The natural parallel to that involvement is to educate our members. By being knowledgeable about the latest standards and practices, we collectively build additional competencies and gain proficiencies in risk management practices that are generally accepted as ‘best’. This proficiency, in turn, enables each of our organizations to achieve expected objectives with better success.
The committee seeks a dialogue with RIMS members about which risk management standards are most important to them, so we can focus our efforts to produce the broadest benefit. Additionally, the committee continues to explore opportunities with other risk-focused associations, standards development organizations and accreditation bodies to advance risk management best practices as broadly as possible.
Specific responsibilities of the committee include:
- Preparing official comment on standards prepared or developed by other organizations, entities, and Standards Development Organizations
- Work closely with all RIMS committees, task forces, and partners to provide guidance, direction, and assistance to assure that products and tactical efforts shall be evaluated for development into working "best practices" product and/or for standard development
- Represent RIMS in all state, national, and international standards forums, as appropriate
- Provide news events and material for use within RIMS various marketing and publication vehicles.
- Advise the RIMS leadership on the status of risk management and RIMS in the standards "world".